Your loving kindness is better than life.
And your mercies are new every day.
I am restored from the depths of my soul.
As I drink from the wells of Your grace.
Great is Your faithfulness, great is Your love.
Your holy cleansing has swept through me, through me like a flood.
The heavy yoke of sin is broken, I’m a slave no more because,
I’ve been set free by the power of Your blood.
Words and Music Copyright 2011 Rebecca S. Hedrick
I am struck by the faithfulness God has demonstrated to me, and how that demonstration has proven to me, over and over, His unrelenting love in a really personal way. That’s not because I am or have done anything that deserves special attention from Him, but it is because that is who He is all the time to everyone. I am so grateful to be discovering who He is, as opposed to the lies spread about Him, and rather than my inaccurate preconceptions of who He is. He saved my life, and I will not stop trying to find ways to tell the truth about Him.
I know I am just scratching the surface and you could add a gazillion other verses, but these are just a few meditations that “Great Is Your Faithfulness” springs from. It is a song that declares His praises because He deserves to be bragged about, and because the world needs to know that God is FAITHFUL and He is LOVE.
Psalms 63:3 says, “Because Your LOVING kindness is better than life, my lips will praise You.”
Lamentations 3:22-23 says, “The steadfast LOVE of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your FAITHFULNESS.”
- 1 John tells us that if we confess our sins, He is FAITHFUL and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Philippians tells us that He is FAITHFUL to complete the good work He started in us.
- 1 Cor. tells us that God is FAITHFUL, through whom we were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. And God is FAITHFUL, who will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that we will be able to endure it.
- 2 Thessalonians reminds us that the Lord is FAITHFUL, and He will strengthen and protect us from the evil one.
- And 2 Timothy speaks of His very nature, that even if we are faithless, He remains FAITHFUL, for He cannot deny Himself.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. FAITHFUL is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.”
- 1 John reveals that God is LOVE and the reason we can love is that He LOVED us first.
- John’s gospel records that God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
- Psalm 136 echoes that His LOVE endures forever.
- If God is LOVE, then 1 Corinthians 13 expounds God’s character. LOVE is patient, kind, not jealous, does not brag and is not arrogant; it does not act unbecomingly or seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered; it does not rejoice in unrighteousness but rather rejoices with the truth; LOVE bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things. LOVE never fails.
- Romans 5 says that He demonstrated His LOVE for us in that while we were still sinners, Jesus died for us.